Fortney & Scott, LLC is a Washington, DC-based law firm counseling and advising clients on the full spectrum of workplace-related matters.
FortneyScott represents and counsels employers and government contractors in complying with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the prevailing wage laws, including the Service Contract Act (SCA) and Davis Bacon Act (DBA), and other federal, state, and local wage and hour laws, including:
- Counseling clients with respect to policies and procedures to ensure FLSA compliance, including the proper classification of workers as employees or contractors; determining whether positions are exempt or non-exempt from overtime; advising on the overtime requirements for non-exempt employees and the compensation practices for exempt employees, as well as on compliance with the time and record keeping requirements;
- Conducting wage and hour compliance self-audits on an attorney-privileged basis, including making assessments and recommendations regarding remedial steps for compliance and related communications to managers and the workforce, in order to minimize potential legal risks and exposures;
- Advising and representing employers facing audits by the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL)’s Wage and Hour Division and state and local agencies;
- Counseling federal contractors on compliance with the prevailing wage and benefit requirements of the SCA, DBA, and related prevailing wage laws;
- Providing training on compliance with FLSA, SCA, DBA, and related wage-hour laws and regulations;
- Serving as experts in FLSA litigation;
- Securing Opinion Letters and compliance guidance from DOL’s Wage and Hour Administrator;
FortneyScott’s attorneys all have significant wage and hour compliance experience, including three attorneys who formerly held the most senior legal positions at DOL, each of whom had significant responsibilities for the enforcement of the FLSA and the prevailing wage and hour statutes enforced by DOL.